UNC Swimmer, Spunky Skier and Adventure Aficionado: Katie Keel
Name: Katie Keel
@tarkeel // @jolyncolorado
Nicknames: KK, Kate, Double K, Tarkeel, Kat, Special K
JOLYN Colorado Rep, Lover of all things active, swimmer for UNC-Chapel Hill, skier/snowboarder. Total bookworm, builder of cool things (crafts, knick-knacks, etc.) and loves to travel!
What is your favorite dryland workout?
Does tanning by the pool count? Ok seriously, I LOVE to ride my road bike. I’ll pack myself full of snacks, water and my phone/money and then just ride for hours and see where I end up. Colorado has lots of cute little mountain towns, so I’ll usually shoot for one of those and reward myself with a cold beer milkshake when I arrive. It's a great way to get in shape and explore my state, plus people are usually pretty bike friendly, so there are plenty of bike lanes and other cyclists on the road. However, I did get run over by a motorcycle once, so that’s something I hope never to repeat.
What is your favorite water work out?
I love swimming and will always feel most connected to the water. I’d be happy as can be if I could be swimming in an ocean or lake every day. Unfortunately, Colorado is technically a “high desert climate” (a fact I discovered after moving here), so there is literally no water. Sometimes you can get in the water at the reservoirs if the bacteria levels are low enough, but it's weather dependent and hard to plan. So, I stick to the pool and frigid Colorado River!
What activities do you do in JOLYN:
Swimming, triathlons, walking the dog, climbing, volleyball, daily life (in lieu of a bra), yoga, SKIING (spring time= slush time and sunny skies)
What's your favorite JOLYN color:
Blueberry! Classic. Oooh, or Cabernet. Hawaii Blue. Pink. Eeek, too many to choosee!
What's your favorite JOLYN style and why:
Favorite top style is the vent, because it’s supportive and cute while still allowing me to do all the activities I want without exposing myself (a problem I’ve had in previous non-Jolyn suits). For bottoms, Harley all the way. I like skimpy bottoms and that cut allows just the right amount of booty to be out, but still covers me and is functional. I’m obsessed and wear them all the time.
If you were stranded on an island and could only have 3 things, what would they be?:
1. My dog Saigon- DUH. I’m obsessed with her. She’d learn all sorts of cool things and could help me fish and forage and then we could work out on the beach and chill out together at night. Pretty sweet.
2. Vegan Chocolate chip cookies from Whole Foods. I’m not vegan, but I AM a self-proclaimed cookie connoisseur. After years of searching, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better cookie than the vegan choc chip from there. Guaranteed.
3. My kindle. As mentioned above, it’s hard to pry me from a good book. I’d be endlessly entertained learning all sorts of new things and reading adventure stories of how to survive on an island! Reading is a must for me.
Three things on my bucket list:
- Learn to break dance
- Go to base camp of Everest (and maybe further if I become a skilled enough alpinist)
- Become fluent in a few languages and live abroad